Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sep 26-27--ORIENTAL TURTLE-DOVE near Tofino

From Adrian Dorst who made this observation on Stubbs island:

"First observed flying past, then landing on the beach about 100 meters away. It caught my attention immediately by being so much darker than the Eurasian Collared Doves also in the area. What was striking was the large amount of rust or rufous on the back in a pattern very similar to the Oriental Turtle Dove I saw in Tofino in 1992. But this bird looked darker overall and I suspect it is a juvenile. Head and neck appeared grey. I could not see any markings on the neck, but at the closest point it was still perhaps 80 meters (yards) away. A very shy bird. I suspect it may be joining collared doves at a feeder."

***This is on private land, so in the event that the bird stays around, permission will first need to be confirmed by landowners. Follow the blog for updates***

No comments:

Post a Comment